Thursday, September 29, 2011

I just wrapped up Why God won't go away by Alister McGrath and I have mixed reviews about this book. Alister McGrath repeatedly points out why the New Atheism is a far and repulsing leap from normal atheists. He shows how the four horsemen: Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, and Christopher Hitchens proclaim their cruel and hurtful and clearly wrong agendas through character assassination. This, unlike normal atheists don't try to prove their point, but try to make everyone believe that people of faith are stupid, have a disease they need to rid the world of, and have no rationality at all. Their followers online are shown to be a pack of soul seeking devouring wolves looking for someone to devour. New Atheism is shown to be attacking religion so negatively instead of focusing on anything positive about itself. The book was thought provoking and helped me realize just how different this sect of atheism is, and as a Christian what to look out for. It didn't hold my interest as much as I would have liked it to but it did give a great background for each of these four horseman and their strange followers. I much liked the end of the book where a young man came up to McGrath and had him sign his book. He told McGrath that he read Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion and felt it was very one sided and un-fair so he decided to go to church! After awhile he was saved and so he told McGrath that if it wasn't for Dawkin's he wouldn't be saved. God can do anything, so I don't believe that to be true but I find it very interesting that God used a man like Dawkin's to bring the Truth of the Gospel to this young man. How amazing is our God! Thank you to booksneeze for allowing me to review this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0