I have been asked recently how to get good deals on cereals. Here are a few ideas to help:
- At the beginning of the year, you’ll find a lot of the diet and healthy cereals on sale — like Special K and Kashi, for all the New Year resolutions. January is also National Oatmeal month.
- February is National Hot Breakfast month. During this time, you’ll find a lot of oatmeal, cream of wheat, and grits coupons & sale promotions.
- June is national dairy month, so there will some good prices on milk, and therefore cereal. Keep a look out for promotions like “Buy 4 cereals, get a free gallon of milk Catalina”.
- September is National Breakfast month. In ads you’ll find a lot of kids cereals on sale during August/ September saying things like, “Start your kids’ day off right by eating breakfast!” Back to School specials will usually include Cheerios, Life, Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc.
- In November and December, you’ll find great deals on cereals like Chex and Crispix that are great for holiday party mixes.
Stock up prices for cereal should be $1.00 or under for larger boxes (17 oz +) and more expensive types (e.g. Post Selects, Kashi GoLean Crunch, etc). Aim for $0.50 or under for common varieties under 16 oz (e.g. Cheerios, Chex, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc).
Also be on the lookout for these extras:
- Mail-in Rebates: Look for specially marked boxes that offer mail-in rebates, free gas cards or movie tickets when you buy participating cereals.
- Try Me Free! New cereals will sometimes offer a “free after rebate” just for trying the cereal. For the cost of a stamp, you can sample the newest flavors and mixes!
- Peelies: Some cereals will have peelies that offer savings on that box or a corresponding product, like fresh fruit or milk.
- Free Samples: Sign up for free cereal samples from your favorite companies when they come around. Not only will you get a complimentary bowl full, they’ll almost always send a coupon for your next box!
Remember you are not stocking up to hoard like crazy people on tv, rather you are getting enough to make it until the next cycle of sales comes through! You also have to be adventurous and try different cereals to get the best deals!